Aaaah, more film news, eve though it’s a short holiday week….
IN THIS WEEK’S “Fessing up” story, John Boyega has confessed to being the “Star Wars” actor who nearly leaked the Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker script. The film’s director, J.J. Abrams, revealed on “Good Morning America” earlier this week that an unnamed actor from The Rise of Skywalker left his or her script behind and it got uploaded to eBay by the person who found it. Disney managed to purchase the script off eBay before a major leak occurred, preventing a PR nightmare for the studio. Boyega appeared on the November 27 edition of “Good Morning America” and boldly confessed to being the potential leaker.
“It was me!” Boyega told “GMA” host Michael Strahan. “Let me tell you how this went down. It was actually from my apartment, I was moving apartments, and I left my script under my bed. I’m leaving in the morning and [figured that] when I leave I’ll take it [with me]. But then my boys came over, and we started partying a little bit, and then the script just stayed there. And then a few weeks after, this cleaner comes in, finds the script, and puts it on eBay for like [$84].”
Boyega continued, “And I thought, this is a great opportunity for fans to read the movie before they see it. Maybe I’m onto something…It was scary, man. I got calls every — even Mickey Mouse called me, ‘What did you do?‘ But it all worked out in the end.”
Really? This seems implausible, but whatever.
IN THIS WEEK’S “More Dead?” story, Julia Ormond has joined the cast of the third series in The Walking Dead franchise, entitled The Walking Dead: World Beyond.
Ormond will play Elizabeth a “charismatic leader of a large, sophisticated and formidable force,” AMC announced Sunday.
“The Walking Dead: World Beyond” centers on the first generation raised in the zombie apocalypse. Some will become heroes, some will become villains, but in the end, all of them will be changed forever. Grown-up and cemented in their identities, both good and bad.
Produced and distributed by AMC Studios, the series is executive produced by co-creators Gimple and showrunner Matt Negrete, Robert Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd, David Alpert and Brian Bockrath. The Walking Dead: World Beyond also stars Aliyah Royale as Iris, Alexa Mansour as Hope, Annet Mahendru as Huck, Nicolas Cantu as Elton, Hal Cumpston as Silas and Nico Tortorella as Felix.
Yet another Walking Dead show. Could we not?
IN THIS WEEK’S “Furlong’s two cents” story, Terminator: Dark Fate was promoted as the return of Sarah Connor to the franchise after her last appearance in 1991’s T2: Judgment Day. However, if you saw the film, you know that Sarah Connor wasn’t the only returning character to the series. John Connor, played by a CGI-enhanced Edward Furlong also showed up, although very briefly. And in a new interview, he said that the cameo in the new film isn’t how he would have liked to return.
BIG SPOILER HERE, IF ANYONE ACTUALLY CARES ABOUT DARK FATE:
In the scene, at the very beginning of the film, we catch up with Sarah and John in Mexico, as they fled the country and are celebrating stopping Judgment Day. However, right as they begin to relax, a T-800 comes out of nowhere and kills John Connor right in front of Sarah, which leads to the broken, jaded character we meet decades later.
Speaking to YouTuber Alex Leyba, Furlong talked about the scene.
“They smoked my ass!” said Furlong. “That’s what they did, right? That was the role. I went in there – well I did it for a day, I shot for one day. And, yeah, we did some CGI. They paid me. It kind of bums me out because I’d love to do a whole one and make a shit-ton of money. I would love to do more, but we’ll see what happens.”
Sadly, for Furlong, the ‘Terminator’ franchise seems to be completely dead right now. After ‘Dark Fate’ underperformed at the box office, any hopes of a new film in the series anytime soon is a pipe dream.
IN THIS WEEK’S “Taylor Kitsch remembers” story, Some may remember – or not – the film John Carter. If you don’t, give yourself a chance to remind yourself.
As we approach the end of the 2010s and usher in a brand-new decade, it’s fun to look back at some of the more underappreciated films of the last 10 years. And depending on who you talk to, you may consider the 2012 film, John Carter, among the films that might not have been given a fair shake when it was released. And the film’s star Taylor Kitsch is aware that the massive box office bomb is starting to gain some fans, years after its release.
For those that don’t remember, John Carter was released in 2012 and was expected to be one of the year’s biggest films. Directed by Andrew Stanton (who previously helmed massive animated films such as Finding Nemo and Wall-E) and based on a series of classic novels from Edgar Rice Burroughs, the film had all the makings of another big franchise for Disney.
Before its release, the film was plagued by reports of the production going way over budget with incredibly long reshoots and that there was difficulty on the set, considering Stanton was coming over from an animated background and hadn’t worked in live-action. This led to the film getting savaged by critics upon its release and the box office never recovered.
Now, years later, Kitsch spoke to THR and said there’s a resurgence and he feels that John Carter is finally getting a bit of respect that it deserves.
“I think it got another life when it went on Netflix not long ago, maybe a year ago or something, but, yes, to be blunt,” Kitsch said about whether he’s noticed his sci-fi/fantasy film has aged well. “People stop me all the time for that, especially in Europe. It’s had a little mini-resurgence. Maybe, at the time, it was more of a knee-jerk reaction of ‘Let’s see how we can bury this and everyone that has a part in it.’”
He continued, “Over time, I think you take a breath and understand that it is what it is … I guess people who watch it now for the first time can take a lot more away from it than people did at first. It’s always flattering, and I learned a ton on that movie. I honestly don’t see it as a failure. I have great memories from it, and I still talk to a bunch of the cast. It is what it is, right?”
The actor is soon to be the star in the upcoming film Inferno from director Neill Blomkamp. The filmmaker recently announced the film, as well as the primary cast, but details about the plot are still being kept under wraps. But Kitsch does shed a bit of light on what the film might entail.
“It’s about a guy who loses everything and will do anything to get it back,” he revealed. “There’s some beautiful undertones with addiction and immigration. It’s something that I can’t wait to dive into. It’ll be very challenging; it’s emotionally raw.”
You can see Kitsch star in the recent film 21 Bridges, which is in theaters now.
I love John Carter, and think it’s one of the great under-rated films of late. It’s lots of fun, but poorly marketed.
IN THIS WEEK’S “I’m not crying, YOU’RE crying!” story, Moviegoers will have to wait a little longer to see the two fiercest monsters duke it out on the big screen. Warner Bros. and Legendary’s Godzilla vs. Kong has been delayed eight months and will now hit theaters Nov. 20, 2020. The film was previously dated for March 13, 2020.
Directed by Adam Wingard, Godzilla vs. Kong is the fourth entry in Legendary’s monster universe and pits the otherworldly giants against each other in an epic battle. The cast includes Alexander Skarsgard, Millie Bobby Brown, Rebecca Hall and Brian Tyree Henry.
Godzilla: King of the Monsters, the most recent installment, generated $385 million worldwide and was a financial disappointment given its $200 million price tag. The first two entries in the series — 2004’s Godzilla and 2017’s Kong: Skull Island — ended their global box office runs with $524 million and $566 million, respectively.
“Godzilla vs. Kong” will now arrive on the heels of Marvel’s Eternals, which debuts in multiplexes two weeks earlier on Nov. 6.
So I have to wait even LONGER.
IN THIS WEEK’S “What Snyder Cut?”story, Jason Momoa claims he has seen the Justice League Snyder cut, but according to composer Danny Elfman whatever Momoa saw was most likely unfinished. In a new interview on The Big Reviewski podcast, Elfman doubts that a releasable version of the Snyder cut exists. Many comic book movie fans were left wondering whether or not the Snyder cut’s release was imminent after actors like Ben Affleck and Gal Gadot championed its release on social media November 17, the two-year anniversary of the film’s theatrical release. Elfman replaced Junkie XL as Justice League composer after director Joss Whedon was brought in to finish the movie following Zack Snyder’s exit.
“Well, the thing is, he never finished it,” Elfman said of Snyder. “So, I don’t know quite how they’d do [a Snyder cut]. He had a tremendous tragedy, which forced him to not finish the film. I don’t quite understand this, because it wasn’t like he was fired, and that there is a Director’s Cut that is a finished movie and that the studio fired him and then hired Joss.”
Kevin Smith shared similar thoughts on the Snyder cut earlier this year when he said that the Snyder cut exists but only as a rough cut or assembly cut of the footage Snyder shot during production. Visual effects had not been completed by the time Snyder left and Whedon joined the production. Whedon oversaw post-production and directed a handful of reshoot scenes that drastically changed the tone and story of what Snyder had planned. Junkie XL revealed last month he completed his Justice League score before Snyder left, but it was dropped in favor of Elfman’s work.
So we can stop talking this now, right?
IN THIS WEEK’S “About Black Widow…” story, We don’t know a lot about the Black widow Marvel film coming next year, so star Scarlett Johansson is going to tell us a little about it.
In a new video from Vanity Fair, Johansson teases that exact question, while doing her Marvel-trained best at giving an answer without actually answering much of anything.
“It’s a film about self-forgiveness. And it’s a film about family,” revealed the actress. “I think in life, we sort of come of age many times and you have these moments when you’re a transitional phase and you move beyond it. And I think in the ‘Black Widow’ standalone film, the character, when we find her, is at a moment of real crisis. And throughout the film, by facing herself and all the things that make her her, she’s able to come through that crisis on the other side and is able to reset in a space where she’s a more grounded self-possessed person. So, that’s her journey.”
Johansson doesn’t really give much away with her description of the plot and themes found in “Black Widow.” But in a separate interview with Vanity Fair, she does go a bit further to explain what the solo film ISN’T. Namely, don’t expect this prequel to go full origin story.
“I did not want it to be an origin story,” Johansson said. “I did not want it to be an espionage story. I didn’t want it to feel superficial at all. I only wanted to do it if it actually fit where I was with that character.”
She continued, “I had spent such a long time peeling those layers away—I felt that unless we got to something deep, then there was no reason to make it. Because I did my job in ‘Endgame,’ and actually felt satisfied with that. I would have been happy to let that be it. So there had to be a reason to do it other than just to milk something.”
No origin story, no espionage story…You’d think fans would want at least ONE of those, but Ok. it’s not like I won’t go check it out anyway.
The film opens May 5, 2020.
IN THIS WEEK’S “Who wants more Hulk?” story, Mark Ruffalo says he’d like to keep the Hulk fires burning.
We’ve already heard in the past that the actor was keen on continuing his role as Hulk in future MCU projects, but speaking at the recent Tokyo Comic-Con, Ruffalo was a bit more detailed with an idea he has for his superhero.
“Kevin Feige just asked me last week if I had any more ideas or stories for the Hulk,” Ruffalo said (via ComicBook.com). “And I said, ‘Yeah, I think there’s still some stories to tell.’ And he said, ‘Well why don’t you come in and tell me about them and we’ll see if we can find a place for you in the Marvel universe?’”
Naming a specific project, the actor added, “‘Hulk vs. Wolverine.’ I’d like to see that. ‘Hulk vs. Wolverine.’”
That clash between the heroes dates back to Wolverine’s first appearance in Marvel Comics, when he fought the Hulk. But also, a “Hulk vs. Wolverine” film would show the potential of a crossover between Disney’s already-popular Marvel Cinematic Universe and the recently acquired Fox/Marvel heroes, such as the X-Men.
Now, the likelihood of a “Hulk vs. Wolverine” film or TV series coming to fruition is fairly low. We’re going to assume that Feige was speaking the truth when he said that the ‘X-Men’ films are still four or five years away. Also, there’s the issue with the rights to Hulk being tied up with Universal still. This has already prevented Marvel Studios from doing a solo “Hulk” film since the purchase by Disney. So, when the big, green hero has showed up in films since 2012, it’s been in supporting roles in projects like ‘Avengers’ films and the recent “Thor: Ragnarok.”
So, if we’re going to see the Hulk fight Wolverine, it’s likely that would have to happen in a solo- ‘Wolverine’ or ‘X-Men’ film. But hey, who knows what the future holds? Marvel Studios has a boatload of money so who knows what could happen?
IN THIS WEEK’S “Long in the tooth?” story, Speaking to The Sunday Times (via IndieWire), author of the Jack Reacher novels, Lee Child, was interviewed and asked about what Tom Cruise felt when it was announced that the Jack Reacher film franchise was coming to an end. (The series is getting a streaming series reboot.) The author compliments Cruise’s ability to do action films, but he feels that the actor’s age is a hindrance and it’s best if the A-lister sticks to safer roles.
“Cruise was reluctant,” Child said. “He had his own investment in it, he was going to argue against it.”
He continued, “It sounds extremely patronizing but I think it’s good for him. He’s too old for this stuff. He’s 57, he needs to move on, transition to being a character actor. He could get another 20 years out of it. He has the talent. He’s a terrific guy, very considerate, good fun.”
Well, thankfully for Cruise, Child has no power over the actor’s career. Because if the news that Christopher McQuarrie and Cruise are teaming up for two back-to-back Mission: Impossible sequels is any indication, the action star isn’t stopping anytime soon. If anything, Cruise continues to outdo himself, especially with all his stunt work, more and more as the ‘Impossible’ series goes on.
Well, it’s a lot of crazy stuff. It’s a short week because of the holiday, so everyone eat a bunch of food and enjoy your time off! See you all next week. Let’s all go see Knives out!